How to Crater a Market with Cost-Plus Pricing
Learn How One Company's Lack of Strategic Pricing Capability Reduced the Value of an Entire Market by Over $1 Billion
Is cost-plus really just a weak approach where stronger approaches are available? Or can it be much more insidious and destructive than that? For one large manufacturer, cost-plus pricing was tantamount to malpractice. In this case study, you will learn:
- Why product and manufacturing innovations so often fail to improve financial performance and competitive position.
- How simplistic cost-based pricing approaches can spark pricing wars, destroy market value, and incite competitors.
- How absurd pricing decisions can be rationalized as "sound pricing strategy" in the interest of gaining market share.
- How one company reduced the value of an entire market by over $1 billion...and gained nothing for their efforts.
This case study is just one of hundreds of educational resources you get access to as a Marketing Ops Journal subscriber.
More Subscriber-Only Resources From Our Library
How to Price New Products
In this on-demand training seminar, learn about three common types of new products that pricing teams are likely to encounter, and explore the core strategies and processes for dealing with the realities associated with them. Hint: "Best practice" is not always realistic.View This Webinar
Preventing Bad Deals Before They Happen
After-the-fact corrective actions will do little to prevent the bad deals from happening again. Stop treating the symptoms. This diagnostic shows how to identify and correct the underlying root-causes of problems and issues.View This Diagnostic
Selling Value More Confidently in Seven Steps
Salespeople need to be confident in themselves and in the value of the offerings they’re representing. This tutorial helps you give your sales team the confidence they need to sell effectively while maximizing revenue and margin.View This Tutorial
Five Performance Boosters of Follow-On Sales
Learn how a shift in focus can increase your close-rates, shorten sales-cycles, and improve your margins.View This Guide
When you join your peers and become a Marketing Ops Journal subscriber, you get immediate access to this case study as well as all of these other features:
- Training WebinarsDozens of on-demand webinars covering crucial Marketing Ops topics with new webinars every few weeks
- On-Demand LibraryA searchable library of hundreds of concise guides, tutorials, cases, assessments, and research reports
- Expert InterviewsLearn from others in Marketing Ops who’ve “Been There and Done That” through our Expert Interview Series
- Help DeskAsk our team of analysts for advice, insights, and perspectives on your specific Marketing Ops challenges